Confident ChildbirthSM Philosophy
The mission of Confident ChildbirthSM is to provide you with the education to build a sound birth philosophy of your own, based on fact, and then to help you achieve that birth. Simply put, your birth philosophy is our birth philosophy. We believe that for most woman and under most circumstances, natural childbirth is the safest way to have a baby. With this in mind, we are committed to providing couples with the tools they need to achieve a natural birth, if that is what they desire, including the knowledge to make informed decisions about their birth.
*CAPPA Philosophy and Position on Childbirth
Our curriculum rests upon the following beliefs:
- A woman in labor is in a state of wellness. Contractions are a healthy sign that your baby will soon be born.
- Your body knows how to birth your baby. When the time is right, your body WILL accomplish this goal.
- The responsibility of a woman in labor is to relax her muscles so that they can more effectively accomplish the task of moving the baby out of the uterus and down the birth canal.
- A woman can maintain this state of relaxation during labor by implementing previously learned and practiced coping skills.
How do we define a successful birth?
- Healthy baby/healthy mom.
- As a mother looks back on her birth experience, she feels positive feelings of accomplishment. Natural childbirth is a highly rewarding physical accomplishment and emotional/spiritual high. The experience of unmedicated birth is well worth the inherent effort, and yet mothers can not always control the circumstances or interventions that may alter the path of their goals. With this in mind, we support natural childbirth while encouraging mothers to focus on the outcome rather than the details of the journey. Success is holding your new baby in your arms!